Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Feb. 25- Frankenstein cont.

Mary Shelly wrote Frankenstein in the summer of 1816 and it was first published in 1818 and then re-published in 1831. Mary Shelly wrote Frankenstein when she was 19 years old. Mary Shelly equates her novel to the monster that Victor creates in her introduction to the 1831 edition of the novel.

If we just raise our children properly society would be okay... Does Victor follow this philosophy?
--To be a parent, Victor would have to have stuck around to raise it yet he abandoned his creation. When the monster tried to reach out to Victor he rejects it by running away. Tabula Rasa... when we all start as a blank slate each experience effects a person differently while in the monsters case his experiences were filtered through new eyes without the guidance of a parents. My parents divorced when I was one. I haven't spoken to my father since I was 8 and he found me online and started to talk to me again. He tried to get information out of me about my mother and how she was doing in life (she got remarried when I was 7). He also tried to tell me things about my mother's life that I knew weren't true. He was trying to get me mad at her and accept him as my father. He had no role in my upbringing so he is not my father. I see my relationship with my biological father as one that mirrors the relationship between Victor and his monster. Victor chose to create the monster yet chose not to take responsibility like a parent or creator should.

"Oh! My creator, make me happy; let me feel gratitude towards you for one benefit! Let me see that I excite the sympathy of some existing thing; do not deny me my request!"
-- I think that a parent should provide the framework for happiness yet doesn't always happen that way. My mother works with the learning challenged in elementary school and there is this girl who is the third youngest of 10 and her parents are still having more. I think that a parent who chooses to have children has the responsibility to care for them and nurture their happiness. When the monster asks for his happiness from Victor, he is a child asking for his framework to be set.

No comments:

Post a Comment