Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Feb 4. - Wuthering Heights


Emily Bronte and sister Charlotte Bronte- author of Jane Eyre grew up to be very talented writers. Wuthering Heights is Emily's only novel, first published in 1847. Emily was described as a "female Shakespeare," yet the novel got mixed reviews because of its stark depictions of mental and physical cruelty. Loving someone who doesn't love you back, means you can't get hurt. Yet you can, when you love someone who doesn't love you will eventually get hurt because in the end the need for the love is what we are searching for.

Heathcliff seemed to be very harsh, he doesn't treat people with respect or kindness. He acts upon his on accord- his own agenda. He doesn't care who he hurts or what problems he causes. Why do men act so tough, like nothing can touch them emotionally or physically? They seem to think that the tougher they are the more appealing they will be. Power and money- Attractive? Maybe but I would rather have someone who lives a simple life and is my age then date someone who is older than my father....ICK.



1 comment:

  1. I think I feel like Heathcliff a lot in my life. I find myself pinning after a guy who is a great friend and spends lots of time with me, but always dates someone else! Its frustrating. And sometimes I wish I could hurt him the way he hurts me without noticing it. But I keep myself in check and stay "friends". Sweet huh? But I also think that I hold onto feelings I have for him, because if I do let myself like someone new, I would/could face that rejection all over again! which is not something i want to do.

    ReplyDelete